Assistant General Counsel, UNLV Office of General Counsel #R0114800University of Nevada, Las Vegas
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Assistant General Counsel, UNLV Office of General Counsel [R0114800]
Role of the position:
Under the general direction and supervision of the General Counsel or designee, the Assistant General Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and services to University administration, with a focus on litigation and threatened litigation. The Assistant General Counsel will meet regularly with the General Counsel or designee to ensure consistent application of Nevada System of Higher Education ("NSHE") and University policies and procedures and to inform the General Counsel or designee of any new litigation or significant legal matters that arise. Scope of the role includes litigation in the courts of both the State of Nevada and the United States, and proceedings in federal and state administrative and regulatory agencies. Concurrent private practice is prohibited.
This position will:
- Manage a litigation caseload (from beginning to end) and pre-litigation disputes, in various areas of law, including employment, workers' compensation, professional liability and general liability cases; interact and coordinate with outside counsel, as appropriate. Prepare court pleadings, legal memoranda and other papers for filing in litigation and administrative matters; conduct discovery, including depositions. Analyze and respond to legal demands and claims.
- Provide oral and written reports and recommendations on findings and outcomes to the General Counsel or designee and/or other University administrators. When appropriate, make recommendations for action and implementation. Coordinate responses to governmental compliance inquiries, charges and complaints; respond to audits; and coordinate and prepare responses to subpoenas, court orders, attorney requests, public records requests, and other administrative document or information requests.
- Represent the University in trials and hearings in state, federal, and local courts, and before state and federal administrative and regulatory agencies.
- Provide advice regarding enforcement of disciplinary standards and policies for faculty, staff and students, including: (a) recruitment, hiring and discharge of employees; licensing and credentialing of professionals, as appropriate; and matters of appointment, reappointment and tenure; and (b) student conduct and academic integrity matters.
- Draft agreements, legal opinions, correspondence, policies and other documents in compliance with the federal, state laws and NSHE directives and guidelines; approval of contracts, releases, and other documents as to legal form.
- Identify and provide legal advice to mitigate legal risks within the University, including those related to employment and other compliance matters (i.e., FMLA, ADA, HIPAA, ACA).
- Interpret state and federal laws and regulations; Board of Regents' Handbook; NSHE Procedures & Guidelines Manual; and University, college and unit bylaws and polices, including those related to shared governance.
- Stay abreast of legislation, trends, issues and best practices pertaining to assigned areas; review court decisions, proposed legislation and proposed programs/policies.
- As directed, directly supervise one more attorneys and/or support staff in the Office of General Counsel, either on an ongoing or project specific basis.
For position description and application details, visithttps://bit.ly/2CmDTOk or call 702-895-3504.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veteran/Disability Employer